Friday, November 11, 2011

Pinterest

Have you heard about Pinterst? Do you Pin?


This is my Pinterest


Well for those of you who have yet to hear of Pinterest....

Pinterest is a virtual pinboard. Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. I used to see a photo on the web and I would save it to a folder on my computer, but I could never remember where I found that photo. Well Pinterest lets you remember where you found the image so you always give credit and have a reference. Love that!

So one of my pinboards is dedicated to DYI crafts and ideas that I would like to test out one day. I always say I need to cut out time to actually try one of this 'pins' and guess what.... I did it!! And I am really excited about it.

So here is the photo I 'pinned' to my DYI someday board.

Pinned Image

And then I found that the girl who originally pinned this image had a tutorial on her blog, The Johnstons, on how to make one (which was awesome - and this girl is simply adorable to top it off!). Then I found the original version from HGTV, and kind of mixed the two tutorials to create my own skirt!

Here was my trial:

I had left over fabric (muslin) and crossed my fingers I had enough by the end of the skirt.
Then I purchased a $5 Christmas tree skirt from Meijer (plain white with red/white trim).
I had glue gun & sticks, mat board, and rotary cutter.


Time to start!




I cut 3 inch strips of my muslin until I had a fairly good stack. (In the end I actually only needed to cut out 7 more strips - hows that for luck!)



Then I started hot gluing the fabric to the outside of the skirt, while adding the ruffle fold every so often. I really didn't measure the distance or the width of the ruffle.... I just did what I felt was fair.


This was a pretty $5 tree skirt right? HA!


Then I just kept gluing and folding, gluing and folding....until I got to the top of the skirt.




By the end of the skirt I had just enough fabric left from my last strip and make 3 ties to connect the skirt when it goes around the tree. 

And WAHM.....



Folks, I made a Christmas Tree Skirt from my DYI pinboard from Pinterest, and I think it turned out pretty well! (insert very big smile face here - and a check off my to do list before the baby comes).

Interested in pinning to your own boards? Let me know and I'll send you an invite and then we can follow each others pins!! :)


Follow Me on Pinterest


xox m.

2 comments:

The Catheys said...

That's beautiful! Good job Meredith!

Unknown said...

Love this thanks for the post I want to tackle this before thanks giving

Post a Comment